ALL FUTURE CLASSES HAVE BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO AN UNEXPECTED MEDICAL ISSUE.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Great Wave off Kanagawa








December's class "The Great Wave of Kanagawa" is a project I have been long awaiting to do. I love Japanese landscape art from the 18th and 19th Century and this exemplifies this period beautifully.
I will instruct the students on the proper use of values in painting. We will learn about tints and shades and their application to achieve aerial prospective. I will talk about Japanese woodblock art of the 19th Century and its influence on the French Impressionist and how it revolutionized landscape art. I also will share from my private collection a beautiful example of Japanese Woodblock art done by a prominent artist of the time, Takahashi Shotei. The students will watch a short documentary on Japanese woodblock technique and I will also read a lovely children's book, "Hokusai, The Man Who Painted a Mountain" by Deborah Kogan Ray.

December 3rd - 9am to 12pm
December 17th - 1pm to 4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment